Friday 3 April 2015

let me see...and the pronunciation is key here....'old white dress' in simplified Chinese....retranslated by the HOLLLIDAY family as something like 'lau baby food'...for baby alters, martine?

alternatively 'lau baby fool'?

I can remember the HOLLIDAY family calling their chef - 'lau'...simply 'old'? that's rude, isn't it? anyway, I can now see why US intelligence were to infer that they were not after 'elderly Japanese men' in this instance:

 
of  course it might be a term of respect...see previous notes upon mark r's production of HENRI the cat with ENNUI...and "ah la vieille"....the 'old wise one' sort of thing....oh I see, it might be a shortening of this expression...all I can remember is that in context...I had heard it as a 'mark of respect'...
 
 
 
manneke at warwick...had told me that 'the old man' is something similar in Japanese....a mark of respect...the leader, to whom the others, defer....

No comments:

Post a Comment