Sunday 18 January 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpgr

...a dna test is also mentioned...but seeing as I am not really listening to this....only with 'one ear'...i'll leave it to capaldi and toby to sort out....

 
Helen rodway-Williams never missed an episode, apparently...although I cannot remember seeing her listening to it...whilst I was living in her house in acocks green, as a  lodger...
 
and I had no time for it at all...never listened to an episode...although something 'weird' is coming back now...was toddy in on the initial 'planning' of a series?....because I can remember somebody like him saying "we want you to sound like this"....
 
"elocution lessons" replies MI5 ONLINE....you mean the change from a French to a british accent?
 
...I can also remember colin and roz at H house...they were bullying me...in Nazi alters....they had locked the front door and the windows....colin was to tell me "you sound like THE ARCHERS" scathingly...well that did not improve my mood...I hated the series...the most 'boring thing on earth'...and so I told him and roz - what I thought of the pair of them....and demanded that they let me out of that house...I can remember mentioning that I had been born in the east end (well, as far as  I knew, it was true - Stepney is on my birth certificate)....in a cockney accent...roz then looked worried and said "leave it, col"....
 
funnily enough - a couple of the women characters upon THE ARCHERS....well it is as if I had modelled my own voice upon them...wait a minute..i remember now - what capaldi and toby had done...got me to record a few lines of the script....which they would then splice into the 'production-to-be'....so I have been listening to myself 'now and then' on RADIO 4 - how did they manage it?
 
 "it was lucky they didn't find you out" replies BI ONLINE...regarding colin and roz in Nazi alters....'col' had identified my 'English accent' and derivation....'archer accents'....and why would that be lucky?
 
col and roz were talking down, to me...they were 'aristocratic' by descent or obviously felt themselves to be so....the gentrified middle class 'farming community' was well below them i.e. THE ARCHERS...
 
I wonder....so they had almost 'got there' but not quite - is that what you are saying? in relation to...."the SOE" replies BI ONLINE.
 
...the SOE and their descendents...and THE ARCHERS....in terms of accents/dialects...one of the best kept secrets? Ohhhh....capaldi had known all about that, hadn't he? but I hadn't got a clue...he was to say something along the lines of "hadn't you guessed?" in relation to repeated references to THE ARCHERS and from 'so many' - and throughout my life....well, no - nothing.
 
how funny...I had always known that my 'English accent' wasn't RP...as in 'received pronunciation' taught at grammar schools....I was to wonder if it had originated by copying what I used to call my mother's 'oxford english' which she used to put on, mainly upon the phone, I might add...when wanting to sound 'upper middle class'...however, when threatened...she reverted to a sort of parody of 'born outside of Manchester but nearer to Bolton' in relation to the accents of her parents, mixed in with a bit of the dialect - from the Suffolk village that she had grown up in....and 'I came from the working classes and you don't get one over me' was the general message...
 
anyway, my mother had suffered greatly at st felix boarding school (bullied by the headmistress and her appointed prefects)...a school designed for the mainly upper middle and upperclasses....and as it was once unkindly put...if the daughter is really thick and her daddy is really rich...well that girl got sent there....on the other hand, my mother had been a scholarship girl (the only fee that grandpa clayton had to pay - was the laundry fees, per term - which he could hardly afford, apparently)....hence the chip upon her shoulder around 'that one'....and her best friend had been jooish...see previous notes. "pansy potter the strong man's daughter/dotta" as my mother was to say about 'angela'....who was as much an 'outcast' as she was, at the time, I suppose....
 
let me see...I don't suppose that Jacqui carroll will like this 'parallel' or association....but the thought has just struck me....that Jacqui and angela, were pretty similar...both felt 'totally out of place' and were therefore 'loud' in making their mark....'a force to be reckoned with'....my mother had felt 'out of place and was made to feel that way'....she had then made friends with 'the other main outsider'....do you see how it goes? "a friendship out of necessity" replies MI5 ONLINE....my mother had identified with Jacqui immediately (she was the only 'friend' that I had brought home that my mother had really liked) - although Jacqui had not done so with her...perhaps the middleclass barrier was too great...my mother had joined them in relation to professional qualifications and carved her way 'up the tree'....Jacqui had been debarred from that one, at the time...oh I see, that is the point, isn't it?...and then the whole 'class war' Marxist junk, kicks in...."rise up and kill the middleclasses" rather than, as I was to say to dabydeen, in 1991 and at that handsworth centre "if you really want to get organised - hire a few coaches - get all of your anarchists on board - and let's go and 'do' a few ill cult castles/mansions...because they are the real villains of the piece....and not 'your neighbour' in handsworth" etc etc...see previous notes upon the handsworth riots.
 
OTHER NOTES:
 
anyway, I am also reminded of the 'good influence' of Richard harris upon his children...in relation to that PARKINSON interview - see previous notes...where he talks about something that had 'really happened' in his young life...campaigning for 'better pay' in relation to his father's employees....upperclass and aristocratic, he might have been...but his heart was in the 'right place'.
 
...and if 'your heart is in the right place' then you are not going to do that much 'wrong' in this world....and even if you do - your natural 'default' will be to make up for it...and I have the strangest feeling that this is now a 'worldwide trend' in a way...making up for it...."the greed of the 80s" replies MI5 ONLINE.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment