Saturday 3 October 2015

HERR DOKTOR? I wonder about the etymology of the word 'doctor' in the English language....because as far as I know - in queen Elizabeth I's time....they were called physicians....a distinction had been made between physician and alchemist (early scientist, I suppose)....


google has lots of interesting entries for HERR DOKTOR:


brian melican?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/contributors/brianmelican/10024859/Trust-him-hes-a-doctor...-and-a-professor...-and-an-engineer.html




the etymology....

 
you can see...last night I had a strange dream...about a member of MI5...who had decided to do a serious academic study of the etymology of the word 'doctor'...along with the aim to find out 'who had been the first to call themselves 'doctors in the british isles'...in my dream - he was to find out that...it had been mainly the irish who had decided to call themselves doctors...what a weird dream, eh? I was to see him with all of his books/transcripts/papers....working through the lot....the british library had been a source for quite a bit...."hidden documents" replies MI5 ONLINE...so it is actually true, then? wait a minute...the doctors...and the doc-u-ments?
 
anyway, in my dream...that member of MI5 was to tell me, pretty much what the above 'melican' article is telling me...that the irish had found a way to gain respectability, fast...within the society in which they were operating...and I suppose that would mean 'the fight' between the emerging middle-classes and royalty/aristocracy....see previous notes upon that 'backdoor policy for tradespeople' being overturned....royals/aristocrats were forced to open their frontdoors to doctors...and boy did they hate 'that one'....
 
 
anyway, regarding forged academic titles/letters etc...well this is all reminding me a bit of what the ill had done for mike weale, in relation to getting him those qualifications...and what Inga had hoped that my mother would help to do, for ingabot....see previous notes.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment